Mobility Aids Grant Scheme

What is the Mobility Aids Grant Scheme?

The Mobility Aids Grant Scheme helps you pay for basic work to address mobility issues you are having at home. For example, if you are having difficulty getting into the bath or shower, the grant could cover the cost of installing an accessible shower.

The scheme is for older people and people with disabilities.

What work is covered by the grant?

The grant can be used to make basic changes to your home so it is more accessible, like adding:

  • Grab rails
  • An accessible shower
  • Ramps
  • A stair-lift
  • A fixed track hoist. (This is a ceiling or wall-mounted track with a sling attached to it, which means you can be mechanically lifted and moved to different places along the track).

The grant does not cover VAT on the work. However, you can apply to Revenue for a VAT refund for any appliances that you need and the cost of installing them.

How much is the grant?

The maximum grant you can get is €6,000, which may cover 100% of the cost of the works. However, you may not get the maximum grant. This is because the grant is paid by your local authority, and is dependent on what funding they have available. They will decide whether they can pay you the full grant, or a percentage of the grant.

Do I qualify for the grant?

The Mobility Aids Grant Scheme is available to people with a household income of less than €30,000 a year.

How is my income assessed?

Your total household income from the previous tax year is assessed to find out if you qualify and at what level of assistance. Household income includes:

  • Your annual gross income
  • Your spouse or partners annual gross income
  • The annual gross income of any other adults living in the household who are aged over 23 years if in full-time education, or over 18 if not in full-time education

The following income is not taken into account when calculating your household income:

Does my home qualify?

Your home qualifies if it is:

  • Privately owned (you or your family own it)
  • Rented from a landlord and you have the landlord’s permission to make the changes. (The tenancy must also be registered with the Residential Tenancies Board).
  • Provided by an approved housing body (AHB)
  • A communal residence (accommodation where people live together in group homes)

You must live in the property as your primary home when the work is completed.

Your tax affairs and Local Property Tax must also be in order to qualify for the grant.

How do I apply?

Download an application form or contact your local authority and ask for one to be posted to you.

The form has a section that must be completed and signed by a doctor.

You may also need professional advice when filling in the section about the work you want to get done and how much you think it will cost.

Send the completed form to your local authority along with the required additional documents:

  • Proof of your household income for the previous tax year
  • Proof that the Local Property Tax (LPT) on the home has been paid, or you are exempt or have deferred it
  • An occupational therapist's (OT) report if you are getting a stair lift with the grant

The application form gives details of the documents you will need as proof.

What happens after I send my application?

When your local authority receives your application they will:

  • Check your application and see if you qualify for the grant
  • Send a technician to visit your home to make sure that it is possible to do the work and that the adaptations are suitable for your needs
  • Contact you to let you know if your application has been approved
  • Ask you to send them a quote for the work, your contractor’s tax reference number and your bank account details

How are applications prioritised?

Your application is prioritised according to how urgent your medical needs are.

The local authority prioritises people who:

  • Are terminally ill or are dependent on family or a carer
  • Would be able to return home from hospital or residential care if they had the adaptations to their home

Starting work to adapt my home

You should start the work within 6 months of your grant approval. If this does not happen, the local authority may allow an extension.

What if my application is unsuccessful?

If your application for the grant is unsuccessful or if you are unhappy with the local authority’s decision, you can appeal the decision. You must appeal to the local authority in writing within 3 weeks of the decision, explaining why you are appealing. Someone in the local authority who was not involved in the original assessment will assess your appeal and contact you with a result. This could take up to 6 weeks.

If your application is unsuccessful or if you need different adaptations to your home you may qualify for other grants, see below.

Other grants and schemes

If you need to adapt your home more extensively, or if you do not qualify under the means test, you can apply for the Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability instead.

If you are an older person and you need essential repairs to your home, the Housing Aid for Older Persons Scheme may be more suitable for you.

These schemes along with the Mobility Aid Grant are administered by the local authorities. The rules of the scheme are set-out in the Housing (Adaptation Grants for Older People and People With A Disability), Regulations 2007, as amended by the 2014 Regulations.

You apply for the 3 grants using the same application form.

Useful contacts

If you have questions about the Mobility Aid Grant Scheme or want to find out exactly what is covered under the scheme in your area you should contact your local authority.

Page edited: 17 July 2023