Hepatitis C and the Health Amendment Act Card

What is a HAA card?

If you have contracted Hepatitis C from Human Immunoglobulin-Anti-D or another blood product or blood transfusion in Ireland you can get a Health Amendment Act (HAA) Card (see How to apply for a HAA card below).

With a HAA card you can get the following services for free even if you need them for non-Hepatitis C-related illnesses:

You can read more about these services in the HSE handbook of services Under the Health (Amendment) Act, 1996 (pdf) or get more information from your Hepatitis C Liaison Officer in your Local Health Office.

The HSE arranges for the supply of certain medical and surgical appliances that are not available from a pharmacist.

Hepatitis C Liaison Officers and Clinical Nurse Specialists

You have access to a local HSE Hepatitis C Liaison Officer. They will help you get all the non-hospital (primary care) services that you are entitled to. Find the contact details of your local Hepatitis C liaison officer on the HSE website.

You can also access Clinical Nurse Specialists in the liver units of the eight designated hospitals. They will help you get the hospital services you are entitled to.

How to apply for a HAA card

You can apply for a Health Amendment Act (HAA) Card if you got Hepatitis C in Ireland directly or indirectly by:

  • The administration of Human Immunoglobulin-Anti-D or
  • Another blood product or a blood transfusion

To apply for a HAA Card contact your Hepatitis C Liaison Officer in your Local Health Office or the National Hepatitis C Office.

You will have a HAA card for life, including access to all of the health services listed above.

Hepatitis C Insurance Scheme

If you were infected with Hepatitis C and/or HIV from Human Immunoglobulin-Anti-D or another blood product or blood transfusion in Ireland, you can access the Hepatitis C Insurance Scheme. This provides access to life assurance, mortgage protection and travel insurance.

If you are part of this scheme, you only pay the average basic premium that an uninfected person of the same age and gender would pay. The scheme pays the additional premiums levied or covers the additional risks that would otherwise prevent a policy being taken out

How to apply for the Hepatitis C Insurance Scheme

You need an Eligibility Certificate to get the Insurance Scheme.

To get an Eligibility Certificate contact the HSE Insurance Scheme Administrator (details below), who will send you an application pack. Eligibility is based on certain criteria.

If you have a HAA Card or have received an award from the Hepatitis C Compensation Tribunal you are automatically entitled to take out insurance under the scheme.

Useful contacts and more information

You can read more about Hepatitis C on the HSE website. The HSE have more information about Hepatitis C when it is sexually transmitted.

You can order a free Hepatitis C test to take at home if you are aged 18 or older and live in Ireland.

Further details on HAA entitlements and how to access them can from be found on the website of the HSE website and available from:

Hepatitis C Partnership

C/O 14 Carman's Court
Carman's Hall
Dublin 8

Tel: 083 011 6110

Irish Haemophilia Society

1st Floor
Cathedral Court
New Street
Dublin 8

Tel: (01) 657 9900
Fax: (01) 657 9901

Irish Kidney Association

Donor House
Block 43A
Park West
Dublin 12

Tel: (01) 620 5306
Fax: (01) 620 5366

Transfusion Positive

Fitzwilliam Business Centre
26 Upper Pembroke Street
Dublin 2

Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 10am to 2pm.
Tel: (01) 234 3740

Information in connection with the Hepatitis C Insurance Scheme is available from:

Hepatitis C Insurance Scheme

Health Service Executive
Mill Lane
Dublin 20

Tel: (01) 620 1660
Locall: 1850 211 570
Page edited: 23 October 2023